Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day brining a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way.

Today is Ash Wednesday. Many of you attended a church service where ashes were spread on your forehead and a statement of remembrance or reflection was said. I was supposed to, but Findlay is under water again, and so my service was canceled.

Still, I marvel at the beauty of the act of spreading ashes on our foreheads. It's a peculiar act, to say the least. It has its roots as far back as the book of Numbers, and actually is scene as something to be ritually clean.

And I find this unusual. That ashes, which basically look like dirt, and spread on our flesh like dirt, are used to make us clean. But, as I think about this, I reflect on Good Friday and Easter, looking forward. And I see there, too, a peculiar happening. An omnipotent being choosing to offer salvation not through a showing of power, but through a showing of love.

And I wonder how we can apply this to our lives. Where can we share love, when something else is expected, and find a result greater because of that showing of love? Where can we do the unexpected, and have the result be a much greater outcome than any predictable path might have produced?

Ponder this with me, and share your thoughts with me.

And join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Help me to find ways to love
When love seems to be the most illogical action.
Help me to do the unexpected
That i might trust in you to produce results.
Help me to focus on the big picture
Rather than the day-to-day details.

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: