Friday, February 8, 2008

Difficult

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we walk through Lent, we notice that it lasts 40 days, not counting Sundays. These forty days have some significance. We're often reminded of the story in Matthew 4, of the temptations of Jesus. After he spent forty days in the desert, fasting and praying, he was tempted by Satan. We're given accounts of these temptations. I'm going to look at them one at a time.

The first temptation is when Satan tells him "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread". This is a reasonable temptation. Jesus is hungry, he's just fasted for forty days. There's nothing wrong with being hungry.

What would be wrong, however, would be giving into the temptation that God will not provide for us. That a God who is Love would lead us somewhere (as Jesus was lead to the desert), and not provide a way to overcome the obstacles we find there.

Let us not fall into the trap of not trusting God. Let us not lash out in anger, frustration, apathy, or desperation. But let us always rely on his provision and his love to guide us and rescue us.

Perhaps you have an anecdote you'd like to share that connects to this message. If so, I'd love to hear it.

I'd also love for you to join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Teach me to trust
Teach me to hope
Teach me to love

Because of You
You are Trustworthy
You are my hope
And you are the embodiment of love

Never let me fall back upon anger
Or the temptation to find a way that is not yours.

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: