Saturday, February 9, 2008

Diligence

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

So, I'm currently battling a pretty bad bug. Knocked me out on Tuesday night, and I thought I'd broken it until today, when my fever returned even higher than it had been Wednesday. I'm having some trouble thinking straight, and I really didn't want to put forth the effort into writing a discussional/devotional today.

But, then I thought about the original idea here. That the brotherhood would be benefited by a daily look at ourselves in relation to the lead up to Easter.

And my mind went to Jesus in the Garden, on the night he was betrayed. Clearly, he had to do something that night he really didn't want to do. He was sweating blood, for goodness sake!

Not that I'm comparing myself, or the choice I'm making to Jesus or the choice He made for us. But I'm saying sometimes, we need to look at our commitments, look at our responsibilities, and look at those we truly love, and press on for them, despite any other circumstances.

And we've been given the perfect opportunity to see an example of that in our Savior.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Help me to be like you
Help me to think of others
Of those I love
Of those I am responsible for
Of those I've made commitments to

And help me to persevere
Help me to have diligence
When I need to serve them
And something is blocking the way

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: