Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Focus and Reality

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

When I think about Lent, I think about the people I watched "celebrate" Lent as a child. I never celebrated Lent growing up, and only recently began to consider it a time of spiritual growth and renewal. The reason for this is because a large number of people who "celebrate" Lent do so by giving something up for Lent. They see it as a sacrifice. They give up chocolate, or instant messenger, or ice cream, or something else along those lines for the forty days.

And a lot of the time they mope about it. They lament what they are missing for their forty days. They make a spectacle about their sacrifice.

My pastor offers a different take on "giving something up for Lent." He thinks it better to "pick something up" for Lent. Something along the lines of service, giving, or something of that ilk. My worship pastor combines these two ideas and talks about the idea of "substitution" during lent. While I do not partake in these ideas, I see them as a much better idea.

Why? Because they help you focus not on what you're missing, but on others, on the message of Christ, and on serving. Much better things to focus on.

Think about this during this season as we lead up to the Cross. What do we meditate on? During lent, or during a fast, or even during a bad day at work or in class. What does our mind focus on. Whatever it is, try this one: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Wise words from a wise man, in my opinion.

Please, join me in figuring out ways to improve our focus, and in turn, improve the reality of ourselves and those around us.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

I ask you this one thing
That you become my focus

That you lead me to thoughts
Of the truth
Or nobility
Or that which is right
Of purity
Of loveliness
Of that which is admirable, praiseworthy and excellent

That I might bring these things into the world around me
And reshape reality
To more closely match your will.

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: