Thursday, February 28, 2008

Where's my Cliff?

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

Do you ever feel like a lemming? At least, how a lemming is thought of in popular culture? Someone who just follows the crowd, does what the leader is doing, and goes on with their day happily blissful that they don't have to question anything about their leadership?

As we journey through Lent, and make our journey to the cross, I grow increasingly thankful that Jesus was anything but a Lemming. He knew exactly when to challenge authority, when to speak up, and when to act and speak for a change. But, He also knew when to respect those placed in power, when to keep his mouth quiet, and when and where was the appropriate time and venues to challenge authority. We see a perfect example of this in Luke 11.

So, what then are we called to? Can we achieve this harmony? Can we find this balance of following, leading, and changing?

Or perhaps, we're just called to stand on the shoulders of the giants before us, and attempt with their knowledge and God's guidance to choose our own path, and to discern what we're called to. To find out own place and niche in the world.

I think what I'm trying to say is this: we're all being lead in our own unique direction. It's a beautiful and challenging thing about our God: He's as personal as He is omnipresent. So chances are, the cliff I'm supposed to be jumping off of, isn't the same cliff you're supposed to be jumping off of. So let's think about how we can help each other find our cliffs, shall we?

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

I thank You for being an example
Of many things I can strive to be
And many things I can strive to do

I thank you for those who have come before me
Who give me an example of what to do
And an example of how to think

I thank you for the Holy Spirit
And the guidance to discover what to do
And the guidance to discover my paths

And I thank you for the individuality
Of my life and my choices
And the joy I have through you in that

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: