Thursday, February 21, 2008

Change, Not for the Sake of Change

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we read in the book of Mark, "On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts."

Jesus saw a need to disrupt an organization and people who claimed to be representing his God. Sometimes when we read this verse, and actually most times, we tend to focus on the acceptable use of anger - I'd like to focus on something else.

Perhaps we, individually and corporately, as we claim to represent God, need some facets of that driven out and overturned.

Can you think of parts of your life and parts of our organization that need the Holy Spirit to come in and guide us, sometimes in a not pleasant manner, and turn us back to the right path?

Help me to consider and root out those things that we need changed and overturned.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank you for your guidance
In discovering
What we need to change

Thank you for your guidance
In finding better ways
To love and serve You and others

Overturn and cast out
Where it needs done

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: