Friday, February 22, 2008

Power vs. Love

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

One of my favorite stories of the Bible is the story of the prophet Elijah on Mount Carmel found in 1 Kings chapter 18. I'm sure you're familiar with it, but here's a quick recap: Elijah uses the power of the One True God to put a smackdown on the prophets of Baal.

If you're not familiar with the story, you really should go read it. That summary doesn't really do it justice.

But it does prove a point: God is powerful. Beyond our imagination. And I've seen a lot of Sci-Fi movies and read a lot of books, so my imagination of power goes pretty far.

So why do I mention this?

Because this all-powerful God didn't use his amazing power to redeem fallen man, and bring them back to his will. He used a great act of love and sacrifice.

And as we live in an age of technology, and money, and everything we can do in the world today, I'm constantly forced to ask myself if a better option isn't to turn down these new fancy things, and just do the old fashioned thing, and love and sacrifice.

As one of my mentors was fond of saying "regardless of the circumstances, always do the loving thing"

What a concept. Join me in considering how we might choose love over other options.

And join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

We are awed by your power
We are amazed by your power
We are unable to grasp your power

But it is your love that exceeds this power
And leaves us in ever more awe

We cannot match your power
But we want to emulate your love

Teach us to love better
Teach us to choose love

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: