Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Called to ... what?

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we walk through Lent, we notice that it lasts 40 days, not counting Sundays. These forty days have some significance. We're often reminded of the story in Matthew 4, of the temptations of Jesus. After he spent forty days in the desert, fasting and praying, he was tempted by Satan. We're given accounts of these temptations. I'm going to look at something different this time.

Matthew four opens with a unique phrase: "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil".

This seems very odd to me. Generally, when I pray for the guidance of the Spirit, I do so hoping it will help me avoid problems, temptations, and, most especially, Satan.

Yet, Jesus was lead ito the desert by the Spirit specifically to be tempted by the devil.

What an amazing and counter-intuitive concept. Could it be sometimes we're being prompted by the Spirit to do things that are uncomfortable? Things that will tempt us? Things that might seem counter-intuitive?

It certainly looks like we're not always called to an easy path, quick rewards, and a life of luxury. Keep that in mind as we focus on our advancement towards the cross.

Join me in pondering the question of just what kind of life we're being called to.

And join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Guide me by Your wisdom
To every path you want me to follow
Not just the ones I will enjoy
And the ones I want to travel down

Help me to thank You
For hardships and struggles
And for the character they will create
And help that character better reflect You

Teach me that Your way is best
Even if it's not the way of individual glory
Or the way of riches and fame
Or the path of least resistance

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: