Wednesday, February 13, 2008

With a Purpose

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we walk through Lent and we advance towards the Last Supper, the Betrayal of Christ, the Garden, the Crucifixion and the resurrection, I am reminded of one thing that we talked about in church last year as we walked through the book of Luke. That being that Christ made a specific choice and turned with a purpose towards these events, and his teachings matched that turn with intensity and purpose.

And I think about the choices we've made. And the purposes in our lives that come out out of those choices. And I reflect on a specific choice those reading this entry have made (minus any guests ... and hello to you if you are a guest), and the specific purposes that come out of those.

And I ask you to join me in meditating on these purposes:
I.To extend our service projects through programs of action to meet unfilled human needs.
II.To attempt with the guidance of God to live Christianlives of faith and service.
III.To provide social activities through service and Brotherhood.
IV.To provide a background for understanding ourselves, our faith, and our world.

Let's see what happens when we make a dedicated effort to fulfill these four purposes in our lives together ...

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank you for the purpose You had on earth
Thank you for giving purpose in my life

Thank you for the choices You made on earth
Thank you for the choices I've made and Your hand in them

Guide me in my purposes
To meet unfilled human need
To live a life of faith and service
To live in service and brotherhood
To better understand You, me, us, and what surrounds it

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: