Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What's in a World

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

I'm often amazed by the difference between what we see in the life of Jesus, especially on his journey towards the cross, and what we see in our modern word, especially in what is emphasized as important.

Compare, if you will, the difference between Jesus denying himself equality with God and the crowns and glory that go with it, and instead taking a cross and a brutal death, with the modern American Dream, to get all we can, and die with the most toys.

What a contrast. Live "beneath" who you are, and live a life of love and service, and end up defeating death, and being glorified forever more. Or, live at the top of your means, get everything money can buy you, and end up dead and forgotten by all but a select few.

Consider this, and reflect on this song by Caedmon's Call:
There's tarnish on the Golden Rule
And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
Show me a place where hope is young
And a people who are not afraid to love

This world has nothing for me
And this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need

This world is making me drunk on the spirit of fear
So when You say, 'Who will go?"
I am nowhere near

Cause this world has nothing for me
And this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need

But the least of these look like criminals to me
So I leave Christ on the street

This world has held my hand and has led me into intolerance
So now I'm breaking up, now I'm waking up
I'm making up for lost time

This world has nothing for me
And this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need


What's in this world that's worth chasing? What's better for us, if we live a life of faith, love, and service?

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank You
For giving me better
Than anything this world has to offer

Thank You
For being better
Than anything else the world could have

Thank You
For calling me to a life
Beyond the ways and means of this world

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: