Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lack Arrogance

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we walk through Lent, we notice that it lasts 40 days, not counting Sundays. These forty days have some significance. We're often reminded of the story in Matthew 4, of the temptations of Jesus. After he spent forty days in the desert, fasting and praying, he was tempted by Satan. We're given accounts of these temptations. I'm going to look at them one at a time.

In the second temptation listed, we see that Christ is tempted to call upon God to show a sign among signs, to do something that only the power of God can do. The fall into the abyss would certainly be enough to kill any human.

We, of course, see a similar temptation of Christ when He's on the cross. "He could save others, let him save himself".

Of course, we see a theme here.

We see people/entities who think they understand the nature of God, and have taken that to arrogance, thinking they know how best God might act for His interest and for His glory.

And I wonder how many times we miss opportunities to show love and witness for Christ, because we think, in arrogance, that we know what God needs, we know the nature of God that needs presented, and we know how best God wants to be made known. I sometimes shudder to think of the picture of God painted by protesters, spokesmen, and others who claim to know the real nature of God, while only shouting about their narrow view, and the way they believe God should be presented.

How much better can we do? How much better can we do by focusing on the example Christ has given us? How much better can we do by choosing to love, rather than choose to speak?

Join me in reflecting these questions. And share your thoughts with me. Because I certainly don't have the answers.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Forgive us for our arrogance
For thinking we know You better than we do
For thinking we can best represent You through our agendas.

Guide us to better ways
To better understanding of You
To better identifying Your way and Your will.

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: