Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ain't No Canyon Deep Enough

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day brining a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way.

Sometimes, I feel like we pick on Peter. Perhaps a bit too much. We hear tales of his shortfalls. I mentioned one yesterday, and I'll mention another one today.

Recall, as we learn in Matthew 26, that Peter promised Jesus "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will" and "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same."

Of course, we all know how that ended. Not once, not twice, but three times that very night Peter denied Christ. Even being scared of a young girl.

But, we forget, sometime, that the story doesn't end there. Peter doesn't curl up into the fetal position and declare himself unworthy to ever again carry the banner of Christ. Rather, he is restored by Christ, and is a cornerstone of the early church, and his work and words are even today a cornerstone of the church.

Sometimes, I think we all dwell on our shortcomings. On the way we've let down God, let down our brothers, let down our churches, and let down the organizations we serve. But let's not forget that God can restore us. And He will restore us.

But we have to be willing to forgive ourselves for our past failures, if we're to move forward in God's restoration. Let's help each other do that more fully.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank You that no mistake I make is final
That there is no hole too deep
No debt too large
No mess to big
That You cannot rescue me from it

Thank You for the examples of restoration that inspire me
Help me to be one
And help me help others to find their restoration

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: