Thursday, March 13, 2008

Making it Rain

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

I think I've mentioned a few times on our journey towards the cross that the forty days in Lent have a special significance. We see things in terms of 40 periods of time quite often in the Bible. I'd like to touch on another one today.

In Genesis chapter 7, we read the story of the great flood. Where the faith of Noah to build an ark saved mankind's existence and allowed the earth to be repopulated. We see that God flooded the earth by having forty days and forty nights of rain fall down upon it.

Now, I'd ask you to compare the forty days of lent to the forty days and nights of rainfall with me for a minute. On one hand, we have our journey towards the ultimate showing of God's love, as He offers His only begotten Son as a sacrifice to atone for our sins, followed by a great showing of power, as Christ defeats death through the resurrection. One the other hand, we have a great showing of God's wrath and power, through the destruction of living beings and the flooding of the earth and the opening of the skies for forty consecutive days, and this is followed up by a gesture of love, with the giving a a rainbow promise.

Both of these are awe-inspiring. Both of these show us facets our of God that are to be admired, loved, respected, and feared.

But only one of these can we emulate. We do not have the credibility God has to bring wrath and destruction to those around us, and then seek to make peace and atonement through a promise. But, we do have the ability to show our love and give sacrifice, and allow the power of God to work through that.

So let's remember these two accounts. Let's link them in our minds. But let's remember which one we need to emulate in our world.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

We are weak
But You are strong

And we thank You for this

We are imperfect
But You are perfect

And we thank You for this

We are able to show love
You are the example of perfect love

And we thank You for this

We are able to sacrifice for others
You are the greatest sacrifice

And we thank you for this

Help us to be more like You

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: