Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Fine Meal

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

We've reached Maundy Thursday, also known as Holy Thursday. A celebration of the Last Supper of Christ, and the establishment of Holy Communion.

A lot has been written about the Last Supper and Holy Communion. Let's take a look at it in a new light, and start by looking at Paul's description:

The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.


I'm sure we've all got different ways to celebrate Communion. For me, my church partakes in the ritual every week. We set out bread and juice before service begins, and at the invocation of our pastor, we're invited to serve each other; to pour a cup of juice for someone, or to hold the bread while someone else tears a hunk off. It's a ritual of remembering Christ, and of growing as a community and serving each other. I'd love to hear the specifics of how you celebrate Communion.

But regardless of the specifics, one thing is important. We're coming together, and doing so in remembrance.

We're remembering that Christ's body was broken for us when we take the bread. We're remembering the new covenant when we take the cup/wine/juice.

And, hopefully, when we remember the broken body and we remember the new covenant, we're motivated to live a life of faith, love, and service, just as our sacrificed Messiah did.

I hope to one day partake in this ritual with all of my brothers. But until that day comes, I hope we can at least join in collective remembrance when we individually celebrate Communion.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank you for establishing
The ritual of Holy Communion

For giving me common items
By which I can remember you

To remember your sacrifice
To remember your new covenant

Help me to be motivated
To a life of faith, love, and service

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: