Friday, March 7, 2008

Our Best Defensive Position?

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day brining a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way.

In John 18, we read about the arrest of Jesus, and we learn about Peter's reaction to the arrest. He draws his sword and attacks. He is, of course, rebuked by Jesus.

Today, I hear a lot of people talk about "defending our faith" and "defending our values" and other such things.

And I wonder if all too often we, as Christians, follow Peter's approach and use aggression and our metaphorical (except in the Crusades) sword to defend our faith, our values, and our savior. We are harsh, abrasive, and mean when I think sometimes being gentle, loving, and kind would be the way Jesus might instruct us.

My call to us today is that we move forward and try to defend our faith, our values, and our savior without aggression and attacks, but with love, compassion, and kindness.

Help me in this task. If we all join together, it might just change the world.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank You for providing a better way
A way that goes against the means and norms of this world
A way that is truly better and a higher calling

Thank You for providing an example of the ultimate way to follow this way
Thank You for being our example
One that we can look to in times that seem too difficult

Let us be followers of the way
In all ways
Not just the convenient ones

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: