Monday, March 17, 2008

Wholly Weak

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

Welcome to Holy Week. A week that begins with a triumphant entry. Includes a cleaning out of the temple. Followed by a meal with friends. A betrayal, a denial, and a rigged trial. Death on a cross. And then the ultimate victory in the resurrection.

What a week.

And as I ponder Holy Week, I wonder about holiness. I believe we're called to it. At least, to strive for it. I'm not certain we can attain it. There's a level of purity and perfection in holiness that I'm not sure fallible man can achieve.

But, just because we can't achieve it doesn't mean we can't strive for it. Just because I'll never be LeBron James doesn't mean I can't take jumpers at the neighborhood park and be the best basketball player I can be. Similarly, just because we can't be 100% holy, doesn't mean we can't strive for it.

And I honestly believe the best way to become holy is to become wholly. That is, to become wholly God's. To surrender all we have to the love and cause of Christ. Allow His strength to flow in our weakness. Allow ourselves to become wholly His, and through that claim a share of his holiness, inheritance, and paradise.

I'd be lying if I didn't credit David Crowder with this connection. I'd encourage you to give the song "Wholly Yours" a listen (here is a video) if you don't know it.

But also ponder this. We might not be able to be 100% holy. But we can be 100% wholly His.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank You for calling me to heights
I cannot possible reach on my own

For setting standards
I will have to work to run after
My entire life

Thank You for being holy
For calling me to holiness
And for allowing me to be wholly

Let me always remain wholly yours

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: