Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How?

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

It's easy to look at Jesus' path to the Cross as we journey through Lent and be amazed at Him. His composure, His focus, His desire, His love ... all in light of an end He knew before He started the journey.

It's also easy to get overwhelmed. To say "That's Jesus, I can't duplicate that", and then not even try. But is that really what we're called to do? Are we really called to see a problem, decide we're not able to overcome, and then not give it our all?

I think not. I think the Psalmist had it right when he wrote the 121st Psalm:
I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God,
who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.

He won't let you stumble,
your Guardian God won't fall asleep.
Not on your life! Israel's
Guardian will never doze or sleep.

God's your Guardian,
right at your side to protect you—
Shielding you from sunstroke,
sheltering you from moonstroke.

God guards you from every evil,
he guards your very life.
He guards you when you leave and when you return,
he guards you now, he guards you always.

Let us not forget where our strength comes from. And let us not forget how powerful He is that strengthens us, and what He can accomplish, if we only have faith.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Help me
Help me to remember my strength is not the end
To remember that my strength comes from You

Guide me
Guide me to those tasks where my own strength is not enough
To those tasks where I will need to rely on You

Always stand beside me
Always stand beside me to offer encouragement in my tasks
To offer encouragement to me and a darkened world

Thank You for being my strength
Thank You for being my guide
Thank You for being my light

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: