Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Call me and Lean

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

As we journey to the cross, we often think about the people involved in the story of Christs last days. Pilate, Herod, Simon Peter, John, Mary Magdalene, Mary his mother, Simon of Cyrene, and so many more. And we try to find parallels for our lives, and inspiration.

But what about Judas Iscariot?

Here's a guy who was surrounded by the Lord himself, and by 11 of the closest friends he could ask for; people who honestly and literally followed Jesus alongside himself. And yet (pick your theological reason) he betrayed Jesus and handed him over to be crucified.

But that's not where Judas' story ends. His story has a much sadder ending, as he's driven to the edge by this, and he commits suicide, hanging himself. And I can't help but wonder if he'd reached out to the 11, or some of the 11, or another follower of Christ in true repentance if he wouldn't have found love, acceptance, and forgiveness.

And I wonder how many of us even today are surrounded by a great number of witnesses, and not only those who have gone before, but also those who run beside us now in Sigma Theta Epsilon, at our jobs and in our classes, in our churches and in our community organizations find themselves lost, depressed, and feeling alone. And how many times do they/we/I forget to reach out to the people around me, who love me and accept me, and find support from them to battle through, to keep my promises, and to live life to the fullest for Christ.



Let's not go through life alone. Let's not deal with our troubles by ourselves. Let's reach out to each other in our times of need and get help, support, and love.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank you for surrounding me
With people of faith, love, and joy
People who emulate and simulate You

Thank you for the encouragement they provide
To continue life running after you
And to be able to do so together

Help me to remember
To not only help a friend in need
But to get a friend when I am in need

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: