Saturday, March 15, 2008

Waiving Our Palms

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

Tomorrow, when we go to church, we'll be celebrating "Palm Sunday". Many churches will give out palms for patrons to waive. My church has palms as decorations around the worship space, and on the floor for us to walk over.

This is, of course, done to commemorate the "triumphant entry" of Christ into Jerusalem. This is the fulfillment of prophecy, and filled with great imagery and richness in symbolism. I'd encourage everyone who reads this to go through all four accounts (it is found in each of the four Gospels) and just consider all the great symbols and great images.

But I'd also encourage us to try to live out Palm Sunday everyday. To each day, sing the praises of the King. To each day, declare that Christ is the King. To say with our words and our actions that which the crowd did: "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"

So let's go forward and individually waive our palms. In declaration of our King. Not in questioning our place in the world.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

You are the King!
Blessed are You
You came in the name of the Lord.

Hosanna!
Glory to you!
Glory in the highest!

Help me to live this exclamation
Help me to live this proclamation
In every day
And in all I do

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: