Friday, March 14, 2008

Moving Forward

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

Can you imagine what it would have been like to be on Mount Tabor and see the Transfiguration of Christ? To see Moses and Elijah? To hear the audible voice of God confirm that Jesus is the Son of God? To see Jesus glow with radiance? (If you're not familiar with the story, Luke 9:28-36, Mark 9:2-8, and/or Matthew 17:1-9).

I imagine I would have reacted similar to how Peter, John, and James did. They wanted to stay there, build an altar, and celebrate the event. There was a desire among them to stop their journey, and just live at this one event.

I can't blame them. It's a great moment. They wanted to commemorate it.

And I often find myself doing the same thing. I get a great idea, or I have a big success, or something of that similar ilk. And all I want to do is stay with it, and hang my hat on it, and stop what I'm doing to celebrate it.

But we can't. Just as Jesus took those disciples down from the mountain to continue their path, and his path to the cross, we must take our accomplishments and not rest on them, but move forward from them, continuing the on the path laid out for us.

Each of us has done great things. Corporately, we've done great things. But we can't stay there. We have to move forward.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank You for great moments
Great examples of You
And great invovlement of You in our lives

Thank you for the inspiration they provide us
Thank you for what they mean to us

But help us, oh Lord, to move forward
Spurred on to do more

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen.

No comments: