Sunday, March 9, 2008

No Doubt About It

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

Sundays in most traditions of Lent, and with anyone I've known that has practiced Lent, are traditionally viewed as "mini resurrections". They do not count towards the forty days of fasting/abstaining from *whatever*, and are days when we focus more on the resurrection than on the crucifixion. That will be my focus on Sundays, as well.

If you're like me, you believe there's pretty much no such thing as a sure thing. There's always a tiny chance that an alternative could happen. And, why not, we see odd things happen all the time that simply weren't supposed to happen.

There are very few things in life that we encounter that conjure up exactly zero amount of doubt.

I imagine that for even the closest followers of Christ, as He was in the tomb, they began to have serious doubts on if He truly was the Messiah. If He truly was God's promised one. If they had wasted their life following someone who wasn't what He said He was.

And then, with the resurrection, all that doubt was gone. He was the Messiah. It was a slam dunk. There was no doubt about it.

And the same holds true today. In a world of uncertainty, unpredictability, and variance, Christ is our sure thing, our slam dunk, and our rock of certainty. Every promise He's made, we can, with confidence, hold Him to, because He is the Messiah, He is God incarnate, and He is Immanuel.

We have no reason to doubt Him, and every reason to trust Him. What a great and glorious blessing we have this day!

Remember the words of Christ to Thomas, and the blessing we have: "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

Thank you for leaving no doubt
About your Lordship
About your Godship
About your love
About your compassion

Thank you for giving me one thing
That is believable without doubt
That is reliable without hesitation
That is there without question
That is with me where I am

Thank you for your love
Thank you for building my faith

Thank you for atonement
Thank you for you
Thank you for love

Amen.

No comments: