Monday, March 3, 2008

Christ vs. The Agenda

It is my intent to put up a mini discussional/devotional each day of Lent. But, I may fall of that pace. I'd ask anyone who reads this to keep me accountable to it, however. Lent is a time for us to reflect and grow, and I feel that with each day bringing a new discussional/devotional and a prayer combining our program theme and Lent we can accomplish each of those in a better way. If you have a discussional/devotional for Lent that you'd like me to include, send it to me via e-mail at vicepresident@sigmatheta.org

I wonder, sometimes, what can be learned from the story of Barabbas. The man who, by custom, was released from his sentence instead of Jesus.

It is likely that Barabbas was part of a Jewish militia, seeking to overthrow Rome and the occupiers of the Holy Land. Therefore, it is also likely that the people who requested that Barabbas be released were also members of this militia, and wanted to have their man released so they could accomplish their political goals.

And I wonder if even today, we continue to do this, even on a metaphoric sense. Individually, corporately as the universal church, corporately as Sigma Theta Epsilon, and corporately under other banners of Christian organizations, do we leave Christ to be crucified and left on the cross in order to promote our own political agendas? Do we sometimes use Christ as a means to accomplish what we want, rather than seeking to further our relationship with Him, and allow Him to use us to accomplish His will?

I'm sure if we all thought about it, we could identify specific times we've used Christ as a political tool, and not as an agent of love. That we've sought to win an argument, advance a goal, or put forth a cause and twisted scripture and/or misrepresented Jesus in and to our world. And to that, I say, let's stop. Let's not throw Christ under the bus, but rather let's make an effort to seek Christ first, and seek His will, and share His love and His message with the world.

Let the motivation for our will and our agendas decrease, and let the desire for the will of God to be done to increase.

Let's work together to see how we can do this better.

Join me in this prayer:
Sovereign Lord,

I confess I am not perfect
I have sinned against you
I have put my thoughts
I have put my will
I have put my agenda
Opposite that of the greater good
Opposite that of Yours

I ask for your forgiveness
And your guidance
To help me avoid repeating these sins

Help me to shine Your light
And spread Your will
Into this dark world

Bring me to atonement
Bring me to you
Bring me to love

Amen

No comments: